Beehive Wool Shop
Knitting Level 4: Two Handed Fair Isle
In this level 4 knitting class you will be introduced to Fair Isle Knitting. We cover basic techniques and then support you in working through a simple colour-work project of your choice (for example a hat or cowl).
Length: 4 sessions x 1.5 hours
Pattern: You are welcome to choose your own pattern so long as it is:
- Knit in the round
- limited to 2 colours
- Uses yarn that is DK or worsted weight
- A pattern that doesn’t offer technical challenges apart from the colourwork challenge (for example if you are comfortable making mittens but not hats choose a mitten project.)
We recommend the Beehive Fair Isle Headband (free with yarn purchase) or Andrea Rangel’s Botanical Beach Hat (pictured). Staff are happy to assist with pattern choice.
- how to do two-handed knitting (pickers learn throwing, throwers learn picking)
- colour dominance
- how to carry floats
- how to read a chart
- Knitting in the round
- Good tension
- How to cast on & bind off
- How to knit and purl
- How to read a pattern
Note: Students receive a discount code for 15% off the supplies for this class.
- 2 contrasting colours of scrap yarn + appropriate 16"/40cm circular needles (please bring to your first class - you will be practicing in the round)
- Your pattern choice + required yarn, needles and notions
|4 classes: Friday January 21, 28, February 4, 11
|4 classes: Thursday March 3, 10, 17, 24||6:00pm-7:30pm||April|