Beehive Wool Shop
Knitting Level 3: Socks - Toe up on Circulars
This class explores Toe-Up Sock knitting. You will be knitting 1 sock at a time on two circular needles. Advantages to knitting your socks from the toe up include: easy to try on while your sock is still on the needles, less concern about sufficient yarn quantities (simply bind off when you run out of yarn), easier to adjust for a high instep, plus no pick-up along the edge of the heel flap!
All our sock classes teach short rows for shaping the heel, picking up stitches (excepting toe up on circulars), shaping with decreases, grafting a seam, as well as pattern interpretation and fixing of common mistakes. Our patterns call for chunky weight yarn which means your socks knit up faster and you'll be able to start the 2nd sock as well.
- Cast-on and cast-off
- Knit and purl stitches
- At least one type of increase and decrease
- Pattern reading
- Working in the round
- Working in the round using two circular needles
- Judy’s Magic Cast-on
- Paired increases and decreases
- Short rows and wrap-and-turn
- A reinforced heel flap that mimics the heel flap produced in top-down methods
- A stretchy 1x1 rib bind-off
- pattern interpretation
- fixing of common mistakes.
- Two 5.0mm, 40cm circular needles
- 200g of chunky weight yarn (we recommend Berroco Vintage Chunky)
- A darning needle
- 1 split ring stitch marker
|4 classes: Saturday Apr 18, 25, May 2, 9||1:30pm-3:00pm||Bonnie